- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or sliced
- 1-2 inches fresh ginger
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- dried shiitake mushrooms, 4ish - your preference
- 8 cups broth
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- green onions (essential for me)
- cilantro (optional)
- peanuts (optional. I rarely use.)
- soy sauce (I don't use, but the kids do.)
- OR fancy Hawaiian salt, for more dramatic presentation.
- toasted sesame oil. JUST A TINY DRIZZE. Essential!!
- Bacon bits (optional), real or from a jar.
VITACLAY StockPot: Set Porridge to cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add additional stock if necessary. Do not do this one overnight as you need to monitor it.
Vitaclay Multicooker: Set on SOUP setting for 1.5 hours. (This is how I usually do mine!)
Instant Pot: Choose porridge option (it should set itself for 20 minutes) and then natural release.
You can add meat or shrimp to this, but I rarely do and my kids don't know the difference.
If you don't have homemade broth, use water and toss in a few chicken (or turkey parts, bones or feet. Remove before serving and toss the meat back in, if you like.
I keep my garlic and ginger chunks SUPER big so they're easy to avoid and/or separate out. Also because I'm lazy.
Some of my product links may be affiliate links, allowing me to earn a small amount for sharing my recipes and the ingredients. Some may not.
Amount Per Serving Calories 401Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 14mgSodium 1667mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 17g
For convenience, I've used an automated nutritional value calculator. i can't guarantee it's 100% correct! Want more recipes, kitchen and life hacks? Join my FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProdMamasRecipeGroup/