- 1 cup dried elderberries
- 1/4 cup honey, optional
- 1/2 T ground ginger
- 1/2 T ground cinnamon
- approx 1 cup vodka or brandy
- 16oz mason jar
- dark jars for storage
- add ginger, cinnamon and elderberries to jar.
- add honey.
- pour alcohol on top and stir.
- let sit for a few weeks in a cool, dark place.
- strain tincture and bottle in dark jars.
Honey is not necessary but improves taste. If you're worried about alcohol content, you can add the tincture to warm water or tea and let the alcohol evaporate out.
Buying elderberry tincture, extract or syrup can really add up. It's MUCH cheaper to make yourself and quite easy. You will also be more willing to take generous doses. For general wintertime health and immunity boosting, take 1/4-1/2 tsp. daily. If you're fighting a cold or flu, take that several times throughout the day.
Some of my product links may be affiliate links, allowing me to earn a small amount for sharing my recipes and the ingredients. Some may not.