- 1 1⁄2 c dried beans (a pinto style bean)
- 1⁄2 c chicos
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 garlic cloves or equivalent dried garlic (powder)
- 2 T cooking oil (optional, best for pressure cooking)
- sea salt (to taste - I used 2 t)
- freshly cracked black pepper (to taste - I used 1 t)
- chopped sweet white onion, for topping
- chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
Combine the beans and chicos and cover with plenty of water. Let soak overnight.
Drain off the soaking water and add 5 cups fresh water. Add herbs and spices.
SLOW COOKER: cook on low all day, checking water level.
PRESSURE COOKER: Add all dried (unsoaked) ingredients to your pressure cooker. I used 11 c of water, and cooked on high pressure, natural pressure release for 50 minutes.
STOVE TOP: Soak and cook as you would dried beans.
Freezer meal/pantry pack: Use garlic powder and keep that and other spices in a separate baggie from the beans and chicos.
BONUS: this is also a perfect solar oven recipe!
My photo is pretty bad, even for ME! I wasn't planning on sharing this simple meal, but when I made it I was reminded how GOOD and EASY it is! So I snapped a photo of LEFTOVERS. New Mexicans, feel free to add green chile.
Some of my product links may be affiliate links, allowing me to earn a small amount for sharing my recipes and the ingredients. Some may not.