- 2ish boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3ish thighs
- chicken broth, 4 cups
- 1 white onion, diced, or 1/3 cup dried onion flakes
- 1/4-1/2 cup NM (or Hatch) green chile (If you're not used to green chile, be careful!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese
- 8-oz shredded cheddar cheese
- OPTIONAL: 2 cups of cooked corn (drained if from can)
Place everything except cream cheese, cheddar cheese and corn, if using, in the pot. Cook/simmer for suggested times below. Remove chicken and bay leave from the pot. Put a little broth into a blender with the cream cheese and blend. Return to pot. Shred or chop chicken and return to pot. Add corn, if using. Reheat if needed.
Before serving, add cheddar cheese. Stir to blend.
CROCKPOT/slow cooker: LOW for 6-8 hours.
Vitaclay MultiCooker: SOUP for 1.5 hours.
Stovetop: 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
Instant Pot: 4-6 hours on "Normal" slow cook.
This is a great dish for the fall harvest, using fresh batches of green chile, corn, onions and even potatoes from your local farm. I have not added potatoes but I will probably try that soon.
Because of the blending, previously frozen cream cheese works just fine! I'll be trying this as a freezer meal next, separating the cream cheese out, as well as the cheddar and corn.
Some of my product links may be affiliate links, allowing me to earn a small amount for sharing my recipes and the ingredients. Some may not.
Amount Per Serving Calories 332 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 90mg Sodium 983mg Carbohydrates 19g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 6g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 24g