- I could tell her we were “done” with spelling, basically. It was a stressful subject for both of us!
- I could call it her typing program instead. Her older sister had done a typing program and now it was her turn.
- It was established in 1992, so it’s well developed and tested.
- And she actually learns typing! Which I think is important. It’s a skill I use quite regularly and am very glad I have.
- It’s self-paced. She goes as she goes. But it’s structured clearly so there’s no going off-track.
- I can monitor her. I can log in and see how she’s doing, what type of words she’s on, her scores.
- It’s set up to offer a lot of positive feedback for the student, which was really encouraging for my student.
- It looks like a “grown up” typing program.
- It’s hands-off for me! I know, I’m such a lazy homeschool mom. I like to call it productive, not lazy, OK?
- The student types real words and real word patterns. You don’t use the asdf and jkl; typing patterns of other programs.
- The student sees and hears the patterns repeatedly – it’s multisensory AND repetitive for students with working/short-term memory issues.
- You can turn the sound on and off, as well as the graphic hands that guide finger placement.
- There are many lessons, but they are very short (five to ten minutes each). This lets us easily set our time for typing lessons. One day we might have a just a few minutes and another day we can spend more time.
- It does not have fun, cartoon graphics, so younger kids or those looking for a more game-like atmosphere might not enjoy it as much.
- This program is based in the UK. Sometimes when I listen in on a lesson, I am not sure what the word is that’s being used!
- There are so. many. lessons. I like that this program can be with us for a long while, slowly and steadily building and reinforcing both typing and spelling skills. But someone with a “let’s get it over with” mindset could be discouraged when seeing 24 levels, each with 31 modules!
Since I’m about to renew for a third year, you can probably guess that I am happy with this program. My daughter has worked steadily through the levels and modules. Her typing skills are improving and, more importantly, our goal of better spelling is definitely being attained. We have no stress over spelling and while she is not going to win any spelling bees in the near future, she can spell common words needed in her every day life and school work. She still asks me how to spell things, instead of “how do you spell xxxxx” and looking at me blankly, she now asks “do you spell xxxxxx this way?” And she is usually right!
To be clear: this did not happen overnight! We have used this for two years now. But it did happen and without any tears or frustration (mine OR hers).
Want to be a Productive Mama?
Actually useful tips you can use right away to save money, earn money, save time, nourish your family, teach your kids and just be productive? Really? Really. Sign up now!